Enjoy this excerpt from the “Beyond the Blue Building” blog at my new place of employment, the Western Upper Peninsula Health Department. Or, click here for the full story.
My new supervisor and I prepping for a ride.
“We are pleased to announce new federal funding for comprehensive health, nutrition and wellness policies and education in area elementary schools and summer and after-school programs, and doubly pleased to introduce you to Sara Salo, the newest employee at the health department. Here is Sara’s story, in her own words:
This May, after 9 months and 5,000 miles of pedaling, I was thrilled to complete my nationwide bicycle program – The School Food Tour – in a community that so ardently shares my passion for cycling and healthy living. Riding the Tour’s final miles along the Houghton waterfront accompanied by 70+ students from Houghton Middle School not only impressed upon me this area’s commitment to active transportation but as a native Yooper it was also personally meaningful to witness Houghton’s next generation appreciate bicycle travel and healthy snacks.”
The shores of Lake Huron
One week from today, on Friday, May 11th, the School Food Tour will be complete! As I take a day in Mackinaw City to rest my weary body and my on-the-verge-of-stress-fracturing feet, my feelings waver between relief and nostalgia, and I am doing my best to savor the last few days of life on the road.
A whirlwind of activity awaits my arrival in the Keweenaw. Here’s a quick overview of the happenings up North:
- Wed, May 9th – SFT student presentations, Marquette
- Friday, May 11th – SFT’s Final Miles, Houghton. At 1 p.m. join myself, community members and Houghton students to pedal the final SFT mile and celebrate at a casual reception. Ride departs from Kestner Park, party at East Waterfront Park through 7 p.m. Bikes and healthy snacks to share are encouraged!
- May 14th – 17th – SFT student presentations, Houghton & Hancock schools
- Thursday, May 17th – Green Film Series screening of “Food” & discussion facilitated by myself, 7 p.m. at MTU’s Fischer Hall
- Friday, May 18th – SFT Grand Finale, CLK Elementary
For media inquiries, please email requests to sara.salo.mph (at) gmail.com